Search around, let simmer...

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Whats for Breakfast...


Sure, I love Crepes, French Toast, Pancakes, and a wide array of more savory egg and tofu dishes for breakfast, some weekends I just want some old fashioned, stewed oatmeal.

Here's a basic dish from this bright, cool August Saturday...


Oatmeal A la mode (because oatmeal is in fashion - no ice cream, I swear)
Serves 2
1 1/4 cups oatmeal. (preferably rolled, Steel cut is good too; quick don't work well on the stove)
1 large fresh peach, diced and partially peeled.
1/3 cup blueberries.
2 cups water.
1 tsp lemon juice.

Add oatmeal and water to saucepan, boil on high. As the oatmeal begins to bubble, add the fruit and lemon juice. Stir periodically (to avoid sticking), boiling until the water is low enough so that it has a consistency consistent with your taste (soupy or solid? I like the former).
Serve hot, with a fine cup of tea (or coffee... I guess...if you must).
*Feel free to add chopped nuts or Flax meal - In fact add flax meal, its just too good to pass up (I forgot this morning, sadly).

No comments:

Post a Comment