Search around, let simmer...

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Beets...



I was in Montreal a few weeks ago - had some delicious Quiche, Crepes, and Beet salads. Comfortable with the first two, I haven't had much experience with Beets in the kitchen, and so I thought I'd have a go at making my own beet salads. I think I got a good dressing down last week when I first experimented (I however used red carrots - they're what I had) and so now I think I will apply Beets to the aptly named Sweet, Beet Salad (oh, how clever I am with names...).
A simple wrap of Yves and veggies... with it


Sweet, Beet Salad

8 medium sized beets, peeled
2 relatively hard pears
4 pieces of candied ginger (or 3 quarter-sized fresh pieces - to taste, it's strong!)
2 tbsp chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 to 1 tsp pie spice (nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves)
About 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar (a healthy 1/4 cup)
1 tbsp agave nectar (or honey, if thats what you have)
Large pinch ginger powder
Pepper to taste
Water
Boil the beets, draining of most of the liquid (careful it stains, gets everywhere - save it for Red Velvet Cake :D ) and slice into small chunks when cooled. Slice the pear into pieces slightly smaller than the beets (or very near the same size I suppose...) and combine in container you intend to store in.
Add chopped walnuts and slice the ginger into small pieces (the candied variety is harder to slice, so it will be larger, fear not).
Pour in vinegar, trying to pour it over all of the ingredients evenly. Add spices and agave nectar. Add water to bring the water level into sight (this depends on your container, mine being about 4 inches deep needed about 3/4 cup of water I estimate). Mix all ingredients to evenly distribute and coat liquid and spices among the salad pieces.
Add a bit more water, mix/slosh it around (careful not to spill!) and then pour about 3/4 of the liquid out. the Vinegar will become too strong if you leave it in more than about 24 hours, so feel free to let it soak, I just like the beets' natural flavor.

Stores for about a week covered in the fridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment