Search around, let simmer...

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

From Le Pain with Love...

I stopped in at a Pain Quotidien about two weeks ago whilst in Rye New York. Wow, it was arguably the most perfect restaurant I can imagine - well when I'm looking for a bistro breakfast at least. Stopping at the Red Lentil last night, I was reminded why It's the best purveyor of vegetarian I imagine to exist.
Anyways, besides the perfectly prepared Steel Cut Oats with berries and Tea I enjoyed (two relatively simple dishes I know, but a step above nonetheless) I sampled a terrific Chia Seed muffin. I've had a bag of Chia Seeds in my cupboard for months, unopened, but I was waiting for a good excuse to use them. Lo and behold, this muffin of whole wheat flour, yogurt, chia seeds, and banana was tremendous.

So here's my attempt at the Chia Seed Muffin but with a carrot cake twist.

Carrot Cake Chia Muffins
  • 1 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1/2 cup Brown Rice Flour (Whole Grain)
  • 1 tsp Arrowroot Powder
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
  • 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
  • 1 very ripe Banana, diced
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup plain yogurt, sans-lipide si vous plait!
  • 2 eggs (feel free to omit one of the yolks)
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp chia seeds mixed with 1 cup water
  • about one cup grated, dried carrots
  • 1-2 tsp diced (grated fresh!) ginger (I used pickled; it's what I have...)
  • 1-2 tsp chopped fresh sage
Grate the carrots in a large bowl, combine with sage and fresh ginger. Press with a paper towel and remove liquid. Set Aside.
Combine Flours, Baking Soda and Powder, Arrowroot, Salt, Cinnamon, and Garam Masala as well as some of the ginger powder in a bowl. Whisk to combine briefly and set aside.
Combine Sugar, Eggs, Oil, and Yogurt, vigorously whisking for a minute or two until the mixture is relatively frothy. Add in vanilla and Chia seeds (these should have been mixed with the cup of water prior to adding), whisking again, briefly.

That's some good batter...

Preheat your oven to 350 and get a muffin tin (or loaf pan I suppose) ready for baking.
Add the carrot mixture to the wet mixture, mixing lightly. Now's the hard part of all muffins - mixing. Add the wet carrot mixture to the dry ingredients, mixing to as to just combine - aim for 10 mixes.
Add the mixture to your bakeware of choice, about 16 minutes, or until toothpicks come out slightly moist, but not gooey.
Set aside to cool.
Not the best pic, but they taste so good...
The were not nearly as dense and chewy as those from Le Pain but they certainly got the carrot cake-y flavor I was looking for. I'd try more ginger - Fresh Ginger - and more sage next time.
Enjoi!

No comments:

Post a Comment