Search around, let simmer...

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sourdough^2...

I revisited my sourdough this afternoon and I must say it was a new level of baking in my book. I mentioned the starter I had prepared for pancakes over the weekend and it was well soured by this afternoon. Building on my last attempt at Sourdough - good but not perfect - and a desire to make great buns for some veggie burgers (the craving came from a recent post on Happy Healthy Life). Adding a quarter cup of wheat bran that I had soaked and a quarter cup of Buckwheat and Graham flours each and as always, a heaping tablespoon of gluten per cup of flour, this loaf (and its several satellite buns) were soft, chewy, airy, and flavorful.


Perfectly proportioned and substantial enough to house plenty o' vegetable goodness
Again, I'm reminded why I love the Bread Bible so much - Marist College, expect plenty of bread while I'm with you!




That's a Sandwich Bun...


The key, I believe, to my loaves' success was the microbial playgrounds that were a very sour starter and perhaps overly-active yeast mixture, in association with the wet towels I kept hot atop both the loaf and buns.
I Wish I had taken this from the side - it rose higher than I could have hoped!

No comments:

Post a Comment