Search around, let simmer...

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Triple Birthday...

Cake!
A three-tiered Birthday cake. Insane you say? I didn't think so.

Look at that frosting job! I'm pleased...

Triple-Tier Blackberry Birthday Cake:

With this wonderful recipe for Chocolate Cake - a cake I sampled a few weeks ago - and this White Vanilla cake - which despite its high density tasted great and introduced a vegan touch to the cake - made a heavy but sweet and solid baked good.

Using the chocolate Frosting recipe from the 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes and some violet frosting I happened to have, the exterior came a long way from its earliest stages...


But whats special is wedged in between...

Between those layers of cake goodness is wedged a Blackberry-chocolate spread.
Blackberry Chocolate Filling
With...
12 oz Frozen (local and unsweetened!) blackberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
2 large tablespoons of Cornstarch (I used whole wheat rice flower because I couldnt find the starch...)
2 tbsp bittersweet chocolate chips, melted

First unthawing the berries and squeezing their juice lightly, combining the juice with enough water to make 3/4 cup of liquid, proceed to add the sugar, starch/flour, and lemon juice. Whisk in a saucepan on high heat constantly until it begins to thicken and specifically bubble. Set aside and add the berry pulp left over (you may strain the seeds if you like but I just left them in, avoiding only large pieces of pulp...). Melt the chocolate (in the microwave for about 45 seconds or on a double boiler) and combine it with the berry concoction.

Mmmm...Jams.

I spread this between the three layers of cake and carefully set the cake layers atop.

It should be tasted tonight, so wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. I loved my birthday cake! Thank you so much for baking it for me :) It was better than the chaos pie.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete