Search around, let simmer...

Monday, February 7, 2011

Oats anew...

I just wanted to share a quick, simple recipe.
I love nothing more than sitting down to a hot bowl of Steel Cut oats with fresh fruit on a weekend morning. Well, there are things I like more, but the ritual holds a special place in my heart.
Seeing as I had an influx of steel cut oats this past weekend after breakfast, I decided to put the pears and overripe blueberries in my refrigerator to good use.

Sweet Oatmeal Casserole:
1 cup cooked steel cut oats (or al dente rolled I suppose)
I mixed 1/3 cup wheat bran and 3 tbsp flax meal in while cooking
Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Ginger to your liking
3 egg whites
1 Pear (or similar fruit) sliced into small cubes, skin on!
1/2 cup blueberries
any other fruit you like?

Combine all ingredients in a covered casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until bubbling and beautiful.
Enjoy fresh with fruit, milk, yogurt, or something sweet. It's also great reheated!
Go! Eat! Whole-grain the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment