Search around, let simmer...

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sandwiches au Matin...

My better half asked for a special sandwich from a local vegan restaurant today. Rushing through my morning I threw this together and it was said to pass muster. The original from Life Alive (Which I cannot recommend enough, by the way - Boston and Lowell Mass. if you're ever in the state) called for Avocado and Broccoli, neither of which I had. I substituted, but that didn't mean I ruined it! Or lets hope...

The Hopeless Romantic:
1 Large Whole-Wheat Tortilla
enough cheddar cheese to melt and hold the sandwich together (a few ounces)
1/2 apple, sliced thinly
2 tbsp Nutritional yeast (Nooch!)
a half dozen or so baby carrots, sliced thinly (or equivalent)
1 tsp soy sauce
water
Optional: Sprouts (I thought I had some but they were old, sadly...), Sunflower Seeds

Steam the Carrot slices with water and the soy sauce in the microwave (in a dish with a few tablespoons of water). Layer the cheddar, yeast, apple slices, and finally the carrots in the center of the wrap. (Add any extras too!)
Spray a nonstick pan with canola oil and heat. Fold the wrap, ends closed so as to prevent the loss of any goodness from within. Grill each side of the wrap for a few minutes and cover, reducing heat for a few minutes more, so as to adequately melt the cheese.
*A Panini Press or similar may work well...How I want one.

Serve hot and melting with some good vegetable crudités, chips, maybe some hummus...

No comments:

Post a Comment