Search around, let simmer...

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Westward Ho...

And On I go to another year of school; this time around it will be in Western Massachusetts as opposed to the Hudson Valley. Leaving Poughkeepsie behind is hard - leaving anyplace with roots is hard and so should it be. Settling in to a new school in Amherst won't be easy, but I am excited, somewhere deep down there.

Exploring my year and life to come, my mother and I decided to do some exploration of the Berkshires beyond the confines of my campus-to-be and discovered some good eats. Be it breakfast, lunch, dinner, or brunch the western hills of Massachusetts you seek, find it you will.
I did and I seriously doubt I have the force on my side...

Not all of the deserving restaurants I visited are here but be assured, in time they too will receive the credit they deserve! In order of my dining however, here are some of my favorites thus far...


 Beginning with delicious Kale and Sweet Potato Risotto cakes...

My Tofu Kabobs were quintessential Umami and my mother's shrimp stirfry like Hibachi from heaven...
Paul & Elizabeth's on Urbanspoon

For breakfast the following morning, we dined at the Amanouz Cafe. I enjoyed what may have been the best omelette ever to cross my plate... With an extensive menu served breakfast, lunch, and dinner; with vegetarian, meat-feeding, and light snacking dishes, you can't go wrong.
 Moroccan spices, Turnip Greens, Salty brined Feta, and look at that sweet roll...Mmmmm
Amanouz Cafe on Urbanspoon

Dinner that day rounded things out with an artfully spin Pizza Pie. Marigold Cafe in Bennington, Vermont offers locally sourced and creatively crafted pizza at great prices. Huge and delicious salads too!
 Our Tremendous pie of Mozzarella, Feta, Parmesean, Artichoke, Eggplant, and Fresh Basil...
 Small, unassuming: just how I like my local cafes.
Marigold Kitchen on Urbanspoon

Lunch just prior to returning home was enjoyed at Hope and Olive where possibly the best brunch of my life was devoured. It's a farm-to-table restaurant, with great music, artwork - ambiance in a word. With food to match, I couldn't ask for any more.
 Simple shortbread and lemon curd to fire up the old jowls...
 All to savor the magical experience which was my Huevos Rancheros...
For my mother, her vegetable panini which I gather was delicious as I wasn't able to sample it...
And there in the background: an amazing "Porch Swinger" 'boozless' cocktail...

Hope & Olive on Urbanspoon
Wow, when can I eat there again... Any and every meal. Please...
Please soon...

Further, we enjoyed sandwiches simple but satisfying at cafe Lickety Split Mass MoCa; a colossal oatmeal scotchie at the uncompromisingly compact Elmers Store; supper at the sedate but inspired (and inspiring I might say) Old Heritage tavern.


No comments:

Post a Comment