Search around, let simmer...

Friday, January 11, 2013

Soup For the Running Soul...

But no chicken to be had.
No, I had a long joyous run which went bad and decided an earthier fare would sooth my injured ego. Two birds with one stone, as it were, a Mushroom soup I had hoped to make - more than food but an outlet.

Oh, get to the point already!
Right, right; apologies. The show I watch as I write on Amazon Prime, "The Trip" is a rambling, comedic, attention-demanding romp through some of my favorite things: fine food and British comedy. Ironically, the food they eat bears no resemblance to the stereotypical bad-british-food-phenomenon.
But to each their own I suppose... Again, I digress.

Cookies, Books, and tea... they do these things to me...

I had hoped to recreate the tremendous Mushroom soup I adored at the wonderful Chaiwalla, free of cream and pretenses. It was a simply soothing, smoothly hearty, earthy amuse bouche which demanded a return.
It was a marvelous thing, served beside a sweetly chewy, apple-studded muffin; pure umami with a drizzle of rich and smooth olive oil juxtaposed with sweet spicy bread.
These are a few of my favorite things...

But here is my adaptation: The elixer of the gods.
Simple Portabella Soup

  • 2 pints Baby-Bella caps, washed gingerly
  • 3 sprigs of Thyme, leaves removed and stems discarded
Simply chop the mushrooms roughly and combine with Thyme leaves. Sprinkle with Cracked pepper as you like.
  • 2 stalks Celery, diced
  • 1/2 onion - Vidalia or Red but never white, you know... diced
  • 1 tbsp good EVOO and 1 tbsp unsalted butter or so
  • several sage leaves, torn small or diced up
Fun with Photoshop...
Sautee the celery, onion, sage, and oils until onions are translucent but not quite carmelized. Set aside
Begin to sautee the mushrooms in the now-empty pot you are left with and add...


  • a splash or about 2 tbsp of Red wine and a drizzle of honey.
Simmer the concoction stirring periodically. As the mushrooms cook down, reaching about a half of their original volume, add in the reserved onions and celery from before. Simmer again for a few moments, stirring as you so like.
  • a stifled teaspoon of vegetable bouillon (I like the jarred variety) and about a cup of water - warm or hot if you would.
incorporating these final ingredients, simmer for ten or so minutes, stirring again as you so wish. (Enjoy the aroma - it's key - and in respect for the Mushroom soup harbinger Chaiwalla, brew a cup o' tea, perhaps.)
Reduce heat and apply your preferred blending machinery: I very much like my Immersion Blender but a good stand blender or food mill will do wonders. Be careful to however not puree the soup into a paste: it should retain a thick porridge-like roughness but not full pieces of vegetable.

I Swear, plated it looks better and tastes still greater...

Perhaps Honey-Buttermilk beauties...
Serve with a crusty bread, sweet baked good like scones or muffins, and that cup of tea.
You might add a few slices of avocado or perhaps a nice tart apple. I do love that salty-savory-sweet triumvirate. 

As always: 
Enjoi!

No comments:

Post a Comment